Jursidiction » Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings & Emergency Management
The Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management oversees a broad range of Federal programs and activities.
The Subcommittee conducts oversight of programs addressing the Federal management of emergencies and natural disasters, an issue that gained more prominence following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, and the Hurricane Katrina tragedy of 2005. The Subcommittee has jurisdiction over the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security’s other disaster management responsibilities; the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Assistance Act and its mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery programs; the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act; and several first responder programs.
The Subcommittee has jurisdiction over agencies and programs promoting economic development in communities suffering economic distress, such as the Economic Development Administration and the Appalachian Regional Commission.
The Subcommittee also is responsible for oversight of Federal real estate programs and the Public Buildings Service (PBS) of the General Services Administration (GSA): the civilian landlord of the Federal Government.
Issues and agencies under the jurisdiction of the Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management Subcommittee include:
For a more complete description of the Subcommittee's jurisdiction, click here to link to the official Jurisdiction and Activities document for the Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management, as approved by the full Committee at the beginning of the 112th Congress.
- The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) and the Federal management of emergencies and disasters
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Federal Protective Service of the Department of Homeland Security
- Economic Development Administration (EDA)
- Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC)
- Denali Commission
- Delta Regional Authority (DRA)
- Northern Great Plains Regional Authority
- Public Buildings Service (PBS) activities including leasing, planning, site and design, construction, acquisition and renovation of public buildings, courthouses, and border facilities
- Infrastructure of the Capitol Complex and use of the Capitol Grounds
- Facilities of the Smithsonian Institution
- Facilities of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- International Center for Foreign Chanceries
- Union Station Redevelopment
- Judiciary Centers
- Measures relating to the location, use, accessibility, energy conservation, security, health and safety, transfer or exchange of Federal buildings
- Naming of Federal buildings and courthouses